N.Y. Man’s Family Includes Warning About Drinking and Driving in His Obituary
The obituary of a New York man has gone viral for a very powerful reason. Instead of just including the typical details about his life and death, the family of 36-year-old Richard «Buddy» Verone decided to include a very important message about the dangers of drinking and driving.
In the obituary, his family writes, «We are asking that as a tribute to Buddy and to bring awareness about the dangers of drinking and driving, please consider making the choice to drink responsibly and be aware of designated drivers, or help in finding cab services that are available.»
This heartfelt plea comes after Verone was killed in a car accident involving alcohol. His family is now hoping that by including this message in his obituary, they can help prevent others from making the same tragic mistake.
Verone’s story is just one of many that highlight the devastating effects of drinking and driving. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), alcohol-impaired driving is a serious problem in the United States. In fact, alcohol is a factor in over 28% of all traffic-related deaths.
Furthermore, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that someone is injured in an alcohol-related crash every two minutes. These statistics are not just numbers, they represent real people whose lives have been forever changed by the irresponsible actions of others.
This tragic obituary is a powerful reminder of the importance of changing attitudes towards drinking and driving. In the past, it was a common occurrence for people to get behind the wheel after consuming alcohol. However, in recent years, there has been a shift in society’s perception of this dangerous behavior.
Thanks to increased awareness campaigns, stricter laws, and the availability of services like ride-sharing and designated driving programs, the stigma surrounding drinking and driving has grown. It is now seen as irresponsible and selfish to take the risk of driving under the influence.
The Role of Influencers
In today’s digital age, social media influencers have a significant impact on the attitudes and behaviors of their followers. As such, many influencers have used their platforms to spread awareness about the dangers of drinking and driving.
By sharing personal stories, promoting sober driving initiatives, and encouraging responsible alcohol consumption, influencers can help shape the attitudes of their followers. Additionally, many influencers have partnerships with brands that promote safe transportation options, further normalizing the use of designated drivers or ride-sharing services.
Accountability and Responsibility
Ultimately, the responsibility of preventing drinking and driving falls on each individual. It is crucial for everyone to understand the potential consequences of their actions and to take accountability for their own behavior.
By making responsible choices, such as planning ahead for transportation, using designated drivers, or refraining from alcohol consumption if driving is necessary, individuals can play a crucial role in reducing the number of alcohol-related accidents.
The inclusion of a warning about drinking and driving in Richard «Buddy» Verone’s obituary serves as a poignant reminder of the devastating impact of alcohol-impaired driving. It is a call to action for individuals to make responsible choices and for influencers to use their platforms to promote awareness and change attitudes.
As we continue to advocate for safer roads and more responsible behavior, the power of personal stories and influential voices will undoubtedly play a significant role in shaping a culture of responsibility. It is through these efforts that we can strive to prevent future tragedies and make our roads safer for everyone.
1. Brady, M. (2018). «Obituary for N.Y. Man Includes Warning About Drinking and Driving». CNN. Retrieved from https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/05/us/obituary-drinking-and-driving-trnd/index.html
2. Gorrindo, T. (2018). «NY man’s family uses obituary to warn against drinking and driving». NBC News. Retrieved from https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ny-man-s-family-uses-obituary-warn-against-drinking-driving-n888166
3. Hawkins, K. (2018). «New York Man’s Family Warns About Drinking and Driving in Obituary After He Dies in Car Crash». People. Retrieved from https://Deals Polo/human-interest/new-york-man-warns-drinking-driving-obituary-dies-car-crash/
4. Skinner, M. (2018). «Family Uses Obituary to Urge Readers Against Drinking and Driving». The New York Times. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/06/nyregion/fatal-drunk-driving-obituaries.html
5. The Associated Press. (2018). «Grave warning: New York man’s family notes drinking in obituary». The Washington Times. Retrieved from https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jul/6/grave-warning-new-york-mans-family-notes-drinking-/